Cooling and freezing are two ways to store food without compromising its good preservation. These techniques have been commonly practiced since the popularization of refrigerators and freezers, yet require some useful precautions to know.
The cooling It is storing food at a low temperature close to freezing. Usually, the cooling temperature is between 2 and 8 ° C.
At such temperatures, the rate of development of microorganisms in food slows down, but is not completely canceled. Refrigeration allows the preservation of perishable foods in the short or medium term and respects the vast majority of nutrients, except for vitamin C, which gradually disappears within a few days.
The right temperature for each food
Refrigerators have different temperature zones, distributed differently between brands and models. Check your fridge manual…or use a thermometer!
- NS 0 to 4 degrees Celsius We can store dairy products, meat, poultry, fish and seafood, open and separately wrapped, cold cuts and cheeses in aluminum foil or in boxes.
- NS 4 to 5 degrees Celsius You can keep unopened dairy products, cooked fruits and vegetables, pastries and ready meals in a stretchable film or in covered trays.
- NS 6 to 8 degrees Celsius You can keep butter, eggs, artificial sauces, drinks, fruits and vegetables intact.
Some foods require special precautions
Some fresh foods should be eaten immediately after purchase or kept in the refrigerator for the shortest time possible.
- The Minced meat It should be cooked quickly after purchase and consumed within two days after cooking. All packages of ground meat have an expiration date to consider.
- The seashells It is consumed on the day of purchase. Be careful, fresh oysters can be cooked alive! Rough seashells that do not close when touched are dead and must be disposed of. During cooking, live oysters open. Those that remained closed died before cooking and should be discarded. Mussels should be cooked well: they can get some Germs, Which virus from’Lever Inflammation to me.
- The grated carrots It should be consumed immediately. Made up of 10% of sugars, they constitute an excellent culture medium for bacteria.
- The fresh mushrooms They are quickly consumed, as they quickly rot. Mushroom or spinach dishes should be eaten on the same day.
Some tips for keeping your food in the fridge
- Healthy foods should be refrigerated.
- Cooling should be done as quickly as possible; Don’t leave your bags in the car for hours after shopping. Cooling should be continuous throughout the distribution chain, but also in the home.
- Clean your refrigerator regularly with a household bleach product to reduce the risk of bacterial contamination.